I receive the weekly e-mail from Mark Nepo and his peers at Three Intentions (www.threeintention.com) and find his writing inspirational and challenging. It integrates well into my way of seeing the world. I am including his weekly intention here, because it is a good thought to integrate. Tomorrow I will post a “rabbit trail” of my thoughts about his three covenants. Until then, I hope you take time to read and ponder.
Our love needs to be bigger than our insanity. —Henk Brandt
There are three covenants that keep us engaged in the work of love. To begin with, when we see something true and beautiful in someone, it is not the work of love to change them or force their growth in our direction. It is the work of love to create conditions by which what is true and beautiful in all we behold can grow and blossom, bringing forth its deepest nature. At the same time, the work of love depends on giving others, especially young people, a sense of safety in the world, nurturing their confidence to lean into life and the unknown—not away from these eternal resources. Still, being human, we constantly slip from integrating our experience to being consumed by our experience. We move, almost daily, from having our fear, pain, and worry live in us to living within our fear, pain, and worry. So the third covenant of love is to keep each other company when we’re drowning in our experience and awash in our feelings, until it all can right-size, until our experience and feelings can once again live in us. These covenants exercise the muscle of compassion we call the heart.
—excerpt from Seven Thousand Ways to Listen, forthcoming from Simon & Schuster, October 2012
- Where the tension in our lives comes from (mindfulbalance.org)
- the necessary rain ~mark nepo (pathwriter.wordpress.com)
- the oldest conversation ~mark nepo (pathwriter.wordpress.com)
- The Eyes of Love (kathryneriksen.wordpress.com)
- The Unexpected Benefits of Being Worn-Out And Weakened (ollinmorales.wordpress.com)
- A New Kind of List (artistoftheeveryday.wordpress.com)
- Piece of my heart (alaskapride.wordpress.com)